top of page

Parental Support


We can offer support and information on:

  • Bullying issues within school

  • Breakfast Club

  • Attendance

  • Signposting and referring to other agencies for support

  • Parenting issues

  • Benefits advice

  • Any other concerns around school or home


You can contact us on

Below you will find links to organisations, grants and schemes that may be of benefit to your family.


Child Benefit

Only one person can get Child Benefit for a child.

You normally qualify for Child Benefit if you’re responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 if they stay in approved education or training) and you live in the UK.  


Child Tax Credit

You may be able to claim Child Tax Credit if you’re responsible for children either:

•aged 16 or under - you can claim up until 31 August after their 16th birthday

•under 20 and in eligible education or training

You don’t need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit. Only one household can get Child Tax Credit for a child.


Working Tax Credit

You could get Working Tax Credit if either of the following apply:

•you’re aged from 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability

•you’re 25 or over, with or without children

You must:

•work a certain number of hours a week

•get paid for the work you do (or expect to)

•have an income below a certain level

Job seekers Allowance

You could get Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) if all of the following apply:

•you’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17 - contact Jobcentre Plus for advice)

•you’re under State Pension age

•you’re not in full-time education

•you’re in England, Scotland or Wales

•you’re available for work

•you’re actively seeking work

•you work on average less than 16 hours per week


Housing Benefit 

You can get Housing Benefit if you

•rent your home

•are responsible for paying rent as a tenant, boarder, lodger or in a hostel or bed & breakfast

•have a low income, or are claiming benefits

•usually live in your home for which you are claiming Housing Benefit.


Council Tax Support

You can apply for Council Tax Support whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

You may get Council Tax Support if you

•live at the property

•pay Council Tax; and

•have a low income, or are entitled to a benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions or the Pension Service.

NHS tax credit exemption certificates

You're entitled to full help with health costs if your annual family income is £15,276 or less and you receive either:

•Child Tax Credit

•Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit paid together

•Working Tax Credit including a disability element


You can calculate what benefits you may be entitled to on the following two websites.



DLA (Disability Living Allowance Child) 

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

•is under 16

•has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability

They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements. 


You can find a guide to filling out the DLA form at the following website 

PIP (Personal Independence Payment Adult)

You may be able to get help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or disability.

If you’re aged 16 to 64 you could get between £22 and £141.10 a week by claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get. Your rate will be regularly reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right support.  


Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

You may get ESA if your illness or disability affects your ability to work and you’re:

•under State Pension age

•not getting Statutory Sick Pay or Statutory Maternity Pay and you haven’t gone back to work

•not getting Jobseeker’s Allowance

You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed, unemployed or a student on Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.


Disability Drop-in Centre

They are a free signposting and referral service for people of all ages and all disabilities, their friends, families and carers. They deal with almost any query.

Opening Times: Every day 11am-5pm. Available 24 hours a day by phone, email & Facebook.

Office DS3, Kent Innovation Centre                             

Millennium Way                                                                   



CT10 2QQ

01843 609278/07796 660042


Turn2us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services. Find out more about who we are and what we do. 


Family Fund

Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people.

They provide grants for a wide range of items, such as washing machines, sensory toys, family breaks, bedding, tablets, furniture, outdoor play equipment, clothing and computers.

It can be a struggle financially, emotionally and physically for families raising a disabled or seriously ill child, and these grants help break down many of the barriers families face, improving their quality of life and easing the additional daily pressures.



Scope exists to make this country a place where disabled people have the same opportunities as everyone else. Until then, we’ll be here. We provide support, information and advice to more than a quarter of a million disabled people and their families every year



General Advice


CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) 

Citizens Advice provides free, confidential and independent advice to help people overcome their problems. They help with everything from money issues to problems at work, housing to consumer rights.

bottom of page